David Kaufman combines doctorates in law and economics with 41 years experience in the martial arts. Mr. Kaufman, in addition to being an Adjunct Professor of Law at George Mason University School of Law, is a 6th Degree Black Belt in Mu Duk Kwon Tang Soo Do, holds 5th Degree Black Belts in Kendo and Iedo, and is a Kodokan-trained Judoka. He operated his own Dojo for 10 years before going to law school and has organized tournaments and represented martial arts associations and groups.
Mr. Kaufman currently owns and operates Kaufman Martial Arts and is the Director of Ju-Jitsu for the Potomac Valley District of the U.S. Amateur Athletic Union. Mr. Kaufman understands the issues that can arise when training, teaching or promoting the martial arts. He can and has testified on
- Self defense techniques;
- The standard of care expected of a black belt;
- Karate/judo/jujitsu techniques and their effectiveness;
- Standard of care for martial arts school owners; and
- Excessive force.
Martial Arts Activities
- 6th Degree Black Belt and instructor in Mu Duk Kwon Tang Soo Do
- 5th Degree Black Belt in Myo Sim Kendo
- 5th Degree Black Belt in Myo Sim Iaido
- 41 years experience in the martial arts
- 12 years experience as martial arts school owner
- Director of Ju-Jitsu for the Potomac Valley District of the U.S. Amateur Athletic
- US AAU Tae Kwon Do referee Class C ;
- US AAU Ju-Jitsu referee Class AA
- Recipient of Lifetime achievement award for excellence in the Martial Arts and
- dedication to Bushido from Roberts
- Nominated for membership in the Karateworld Black Belt Hall of Fame
Kaufman Law, Fairfax, VA 1999 to present
George Mason University School of Law, 1994 to Present. Adjunct Professor of Environmental Law and Complex Litigation
Skirble & Associates, Fairfax, VA October 1996 to 1999. Of Counsel, Litigation.
The Harker Firm, Washington, D.C. December 1992 to September 1996. Associate, Environmental Law.
The Harker Firm, Washington, D.C. December 1992 to September 1996. Associate, Environmental Law. Oppenheimer Wolff & Donnelly, Washington D.C. August 1991 to December 1992. Environmental Law.
Kaufman & Associates, Springfield, VA 1988-1991. Economist consulting on Superfund and other regulatory issues.
U.S. Dep’t of Energy, Office of Policy Planning and Analysis, Washington, D.C.1978-1988. Economist.
Washington, D.C., Maryland, Virginia, U.S. Bankruptcy Court E.D. VA, United States Supreme Court and Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit and D.C. Circuit Bars.
George Mason University School of Law (Arlington, VA)
J.D. (with Distinction), May 1991
Class Rank: 2 of 168
Honors and Activities
GMU Law Review, Member 1989 – 1990, Manuscripts Editor 1990 – 1991
Winner, GMU School of Law Environmental Moot Court Competition
National Competitor, Pace University Law School, Third Annual National
Environmental Moot Court
National Winner, Ass’n of Trial Lawyers of America Environmental Essay Contest
Utah State University (Logan, UT)
Ph.D., Economics (Resources)
Grinnell College (Grinnell, IA)
po.src = 'https://apis.google.com/js/plusone.js';
var s = document.getElementsByTagName('script'); s.parentNode.insertBefore(po, s);